We apologize for the delay in delivering this report to you. After resolving some administrative issues, we are pleased to now present New Thing with the most recent construction update on your church plant, Iglesia de Dios Pentecostal MI (Los Pocitos), in the department of Leon in Nicaragua.
Great news! The initial construction is complete as of the end of January 2018. This includes all the construction, painting and door installation in the church, classrooms, kitchen and sanitary rooms.
One of the great challenges at the beginning of construction was Tropical Storm Nate, which moved through Nicaragua just days before work began on the church. Torrential rains delayed progress for nearly a week. This learning opportunity led to improvements in the look of the building. Having overcome these challenges, we had our inauguration Feb. 9, 2018.
Both the pastor of the mother church and the community have been a great blessing amid great challenges. The pastor ensured follow-up on everything daily, and the local population provided support for this church-plant dream to be realized so the community could worship God.
Currently, 18 families and 20 children regularly attend services. Four people have been baptized and there were two professions of faith – all to the glory of God.
Testimony of Impact
The project facilitator offers the following testimony:
The members of the congregation and the rest of the community are grateful to God, the donors and the pastor, especially because in January the Catholic bishop appeared to tell the community to stop attending the child development center and church because they were Catholics. The majority of the community told the bishop that what they have in the community now is a temple to worship God – and a project which he had never done in the entire time he has been there.
The mother of one registered child at the new development center thanks God and the center director, who helped with the donation of a wheelchair for the child’s 11-year-old brother who has cerebral palsy. It hurts the heart to see the children’s family struggle. Only the father works outside the home, because the mother must provide full-time care.
Praises and prayer requests
The center’s leaders would appreciate your prayers, asking:
- for you to support us to pray for the vision of the church, and to see a number of souls converted;
- for God to touch the hearts of the parents of our beneficiary children so they may know Jesus and surrender their hearts;
- that the young people of the sector may serve the Lord;
- for a beneficiary child who has has been diagnosed with chronic head issues. This child’s health is being monitored by the center’s workers, as well.
The pastor and church leadership gives thanks to God for having concluded this project without any problems. Thanks to all those who made this beautiful dream possible in the community, including:
- God, first and foremost
- the donors whose heart God touched with the vision to plant a church in this community
- the national office of Compassion
- each person who was involved in this process
- the builder who gave all his effort to deliver a very nice construction
- the pastor, who devoted his time in supervision so everything would be excellent
- each and every one of the members of the community that supported us
- our facilitator who was at all times supporting so everything went very well